First United Methodist Church has a great history and tradition.
The church was established in 1851 and for the first twenty-five years of its existence, the congregation met in any available space. In 1875, the first building was erected, an imposing structure with a beautiful spire. Remodeled in 1885, this building was used until our present sanctuary was built in 1901 for a cost of $10,675, with an additional cost of $1,000 for the stained glass windows.
Additions were made in 1920 and 1937, with an annex constructed in 1953. The church offices and the Dyer Hall complex were built in 1997 and the Children’s and Youth Education Wing was completed in 2002. The beautiful Bell Tower was added in 2007.
Construction on a youth ministries building on property located a half-block east of the church began in Fall 2012.